Pages

Monday, April 13, 2015

Doing Slab Pottery

Not too long ago I took some pottery classes and one of the things I made was this little tray.  You can see it got second place in a contest.

It was so fun to make that I'll be doing more.


You start out with clay that you've worked over until there are no air bubbles in it.  Then you can start working on flattening it.  This is a special roller to make it so much easier.


You just keep rolling it back and forth until it is the thickness you want.


The final shape it rolled out to gave me the idea to make a triangle tray.


So I cut it to the size I wanted and pulled up the sides.  My fingers made the fluted edges, which I liked and kept.


I came back once it was fired.  Time to clean it up.


Bottom side too!


The first brush of glaze.  The little feet don't get any glaze or else they would stick to the bottom of the kiln.


I put 2 different glazes on to get that depth of color.


And here is the finished piece again.  

I love how you don't know what it will really look like until it comes out of the kiln.  So fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.