Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Summer-ful of Veggies

A couple years ago I joined a local CSA (community supported agriculture) produce box group and enjoyed fresh veggies all summer.  Last year the group decided not to do the CSA boxes anymore (they are supplying restaurants now). 
 
So I was quite happy to discover another CSA group to join.  This one does not require a ‘subscription’ for the year but instead you let them know the weekend before the mid-week drop off that you will be wanting a box for that week.  This will work perfectly for me, as I will not have to pay for boxes I don’t get when I’m traveling!
 
This was last week’s box…
 
 
Tomatoes – red & green, a yellow squash, 2 zucchini, 3 cucumbers, onions, cauliflower, new potatoes, snow peas, cabbage, broccoli, lettuce, strawberries, English peas, and eggs.
 
I didn’t get a shot of my first box but it had:
 
1 dozen free range eggs, 4 tomatoes, 1 Romaine lettuce, 2 head broccoli, 1 head cauliflower, 1 head cabbage, 1 qt strawberries, and 1 qt snow peas, 1/2 lb asparagus, 3 zucchini, 3 yellow squash, 2 bunches of onions, 3 lb baby potatoes, and 4 peaches from a swap someone did (??). 
 
I’m going to plan all my summer menus around what I get each week in my box.  I’ll have mainly chicken or fish for my proteins with lots and lots of vegetables.  If I need to, I’ll get additional veggies from the farmer’s market (I do love my greens…). 
 
And I’ll be trying new recipes to share too!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds a lot like the co-op I use...not everything is local (i.e., tomatoes in early June), but it's all good.

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.