Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Artful Reader's Club Review: Wisdom's Daughters

"Wisdom's Daughters: Conversations with Women Elders of Native America" by Steve Wall, Harvey Arden.
 
 
I had high hopes for this book but was sadly disappointed.  I had hoped to find wisdom from the elders as they lead their people in the 21st century… how to integrate into a world growing in technological leaps and bounds while keeping their heritage alive.
 
Instead almost all the women interviewed lamented for “the good old days”, told stories of the old legends, and proclaimed their spiritual superiority.  There were no ideas for advancement or ways to improve the lives they themselves admitted were depressing and toxic to the young people. 
 
Perhaps Mr. Wall and I have a different definition of “wisdom”.  Personally I don’t see doing the same thing over and over expecting different results as being very wise…
 
 
My collage represents what I see as being caught between the dreams of an idealized past and the possibilities of the future. 
 
 
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. A pity the book was not what you were hoping for. Your collage presents a much more hopeful picture than talking about the 'good old days'. Better luck next month.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your collage piece, fabulous images old and new. Shame the book wasn't what you were expecting :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would probably have bought this book if I had not read your review, so it proved useful. How sad it is that only the past has any value for them.
    Your collage expresses your feelings and their dilemma beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your honest review of "Wisdom's Daughters" Elders in many indigenous cultures want to return to the 'good old days'. Many feel a sense of loss and connection to the 21st century. Love your representation of the 'wisdom' perspectives in your collage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love what you did with your art work that in itself shows a lot of wisdom. Such a shame both that the book wasn't what you hoped and also that those women feel that way :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pity you were disappointed in your book - but the collage it inspired is excellent

    ReplyDelete
  7. The collage is wonderful! I'm sorry your book was not...
    I really love most things from the old days, I'm not into all this technology, but I do think our children need it to survive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A shame the book wasn't what you were hoping for. Great artwork though! x

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.