Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

A Reflection of Us

Alison at The Polo House asked us to show our favorite room.  That was easy to decide: it would have to be our living room.  It is a reflection of our lives.  Some things old, some things new, some things given, some things few!  It is not staged for a photo shoot.  It is how we live.
 
 
The room is a pentagon shape and we have two sitting areas. 
 
 
The fireplace is the focal point of the north half.  We are both very visual people and we love having our mementos out where we can see them. 
 

I’m looking for the perfect containers to hold my sword plants.  My clock on the mantle has 5 clock faces.  The big one keeps our time… the little ones each have a photo of a place we want to visit with the current time in that location. 
 

The large window out to the deck is the perfect place for my house plants. 
 

A shelf of memories from Himself’s job in Alaska.
 
 
The coffee shelf from my blog post a few days ago.  The coffee sets are from Ethiopia, Germany, and Bosnia.
 

A reading nook.  I have found the fabric I want to recover the wing chair with… now to find a person to do the job.  The chair had belonged to my grandmother.  The little desk was purchased by my Mom when I was a baby… it was old then, so it’s definitely an antique now! 
 

A handmade cedar blanket chest is the perfect place to store my vases and to provide some additional seating.  My magazine basket belonged to my great grandmother.  The bear is made from quilts that were made by my maternal great grandmother Myrtle and my paternal grandmother Lucy.  I named her Myrcy. 
 

Room divider.
 

The other half of the room has the TV and more shelves full of memories.
 
 
The leather couch is so comfy and was our first purchase for our new home. 
 

Travel the world.  That suitcase was bought for my Dad’s brother’s senior graduation trip… and used years later by my Dad. 
 

The BIG Bible belonged to my paternal grandparents. 
 
 
My first camera is a bookend to photo books I’ve made.
 

Things from Himself’s childhood.
 
 
And from mine.
 
 
Himself’s piano; a 1917 Bush & Lane upright grand made with ‘tiger oak’.  It belonged to his great aunt and we got it from his cousin 5 years ago.  The ‘Snoopy’ print is real.  It was given to Himself’s sister by Charles Schulz who drew it for her when she was in a hospital in California.
 
 
The photos are Himself’s family.
 
 
Out to the deck overlooking the Cumberland River.  It is one of our favorite places to relax and sip a cuppa in the morning or evening. 
 
It will never be featured in House Beautiful.  But to us, it is beautiful.
 
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I think your room is beautiful and cozy. I love all the memories it holds in the items from the past. It all flows together beautifully. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful weekend!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rooms like this that truly reflect the homeowner's passions, travels, and interests. Y'all have some great collections!

    Linking from Alison's,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful room, cozy and inviting, that really reflects the owners tastes and many interests. I love all the memorabilia you have displayed to see, enjoy and remember every day. Thanks for sharing it with us at Favorite on the First. Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I could spend days looking at ll of your interesting collectibles! The room looks so cosy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great collection display!!!
    That clock is amazing, where did you find it?

    I love a room that speaks volumes about the homeowners. There is nothing more special than that, to me. But as you know.... I am a collector and no minimalist!

    And what a GREAT view too!
    I could sit out there for hours.
    Such a special room.
    Thanks so much for sharing it with
    all of us at Favorites on the First!

    xoxox
    Alison

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.