Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

My Summer Non-Fiction Reading List

As part of what I’m doing in/with my “Fabulous 50th Year” project is reading (and sometimes re-reading) books full of encouragement and good advice on living life excellently.  I’m currently reading 3 old favorites and 2 new books.  Yes, I like having multiple books going at the same time!
These three books are ones I can come back to time after time and still find something new to apply to my life.  They have a permanent place on my bedside table.


“Wonderlust” by Vicki Kuyper. 

I received this book as a surprise gift, and it has been a wonderful gift.  Both a travel narrative and a devotional; it ends up being a story of traveling with God.  Learning to see His hand, to hear His whispers, and learning how to travel down that road He made just for you. 

“The Purpose Driven Life” by Rick Warren.

 “Faith without works is empty”.  In a marriage, it’s not good enough to say “I do” and then sit in your easy chair expecting your spouse to carry 100% of the load in all respects.  Likewise, it’s not good enough to say “I’m a Christian” and sit watching the world go by.   In both relationships you demonstrate your love with actions.  And this book shows you how to express your unique personhood in the ways you service God.

“No Opportunity Wasted” by Phil Keoghan.

Phil Keoghan (of “The Amazing Race”), encourages you to not just dream about an amazing life… but to work on creating that life.  Looking at life as an awesome experience he details not how to make a “bucket list” but instead – how to make a LIFE list.  Dream it – Plan it – Do it! 

And here are the two ‘new kids on the block’.  One I am enjoying… the other not so much.

“Crazy Love” by Francis Chan.

I guess you could call this one “semi-new”.  It was chosen to be the study book in a Bible study group I used to belong to.  They got few chapters in before they declared it “too deep” and quit the study.  Shortly after I quit the study group because it wasn’t deep enough.
This book isn’t for those who are happy in the wading pool.  It’s for those who want to learn to leap from the high dive.  A lot of Chan’s words sting and make you really question where you are standing.


“The Happiness Project” by Gretchen Rubin.

After seeing all sorts of rave reviews, I decided to pick this one up.  It chronicles a woman’s year long project to ‘become happier’. 
What I’m seeing so far is a woman who seems to have the attitude of “I’m going to get happy if it’s the last thing I do!”.  From the things she forces herself to do … like pay attention to her family, one can guess why she may be having issues with happiness.
Personally I’m whipping my way thru it, and will be quite happy when I’m done! 
That’s my summer reading list.  What are you reading?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.