Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Before and After: Breakfast Tray to Laptop Desk

I found this little breakfast tray in my decluttering. It had belonged to my grandmother so I didn’t want to get rid of it. But I don’t like eating in bed so I certainly wasn’t going to use it for its intended purpose.

So I decided to repurpose it into a tray for my laptop.


First I primed it with Kilz spray primer. Then I went thru my newly cleaned up paint shelf to see what color I’d like to use. I had some Rustoleum Metallic Black paint I’d used in some other projects. I liked the way it has that sparkle to it, so that is what I picked to use.

To do the tray I found a piece of fabric at Hobby Lobby and cut it to size. From there I Mod Podged it as normal, using 2 coats on the top.

When everything was dry, I sprayed it with 5 coats of satin poly to protect it from the bumps it will get in use.


I am really pleased with how this ‘transformation’ turned out!

8 comments:

  1. wow, genius idea to use fabric! and you chose such a wonderful pattern. great project :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a super job! I really like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From mundane to classy and up-to-date. And useful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tray looks fantastic!
    Love the fabric & the tray looks really sturdy too
    happy thursday : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I love it~ Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done...your laptop needs to breathe...thanks for your comments...hugs♥olive

    ReplyDelete
  7. How resourceful! I love the transformation!

    I'm following you now! Visit me @ www.illgetyoumypretties.blogspot.com if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.